2.09.2009

Next week may be the week

So it looks like we'll be delivering at 30 weeks. Both of our doctors feel it is best for the baby's health to grow big and strong in the NICU. Dr. Hare and Dr. Leeds-Ricther both explained some details about Angelina's abdominal underdevelopment, something that was noticed at the last ultrasound:

It appears that she has gone into "survival mode" and has dedicated a large percentage of her blood flow to further developing the brain and heart. The problem lies with the other internal organs (most located in the abdomen). It appears as though the abdominal area is further behind in development due to the lack of dedicated blood flow. Both doctors agree that it would be advantageous to her health to have her in the NICU instead of in a "hostile environment" inside the placenta. We just want what's best for her, no matter what it is.

Angelina has her heart monitored three times a day on a heart monitor. For the past two days, her heart monitor strips (the graph of her heart rate) have not looked as good as it has during the first two weeks. She has periods of high heart rate - 160-175 bpm - and other periods of low volatilty - almost like she is sleeping. The doctors like to see consistent accelerations and decelerations, but lately it has not been as pronounced. Fortunately, mommy says she has been very active and she frequently has the hiccups, a good sign that her lungs have developed since we were admitted.

We know deep down inside our hearts that she is a fighter and that she will do great in the NICU. We just want what's best for her no matter what the sacrifices are. Mommy has already vowed to "live at the hospital" once she is delivered and growing in the NICU. Please say a prayer that the three of us continue to stay strong throughout this period of stressful time, and that we may draw on the love and strength of God.

Daddy

2 comments:

  1. I am praying for you, John, and Annie. What a tough little girl she is!

    She'll be easy to convert to "cowgirl"! =]

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a friend Of Tracy's. I have been praying for you. I was on bedrest for a a little over a month. My baby girl Kaitlynn was born at 33 weeks and spent 2 1/2 weeks in the NICU. At the time each day felt like a month and it seemed as though I would never get her home. Its great you will get to stay up there with her. I never felt at peice at home, just when I was up there holding her. But now I can say it was all worth it. She is so healthy and strong. I'm so glad you held out as long as you did. They said each day in the womb is eaqual to two days in the NICU. If you ever need someone to talk to who has been through that I'm here. Keep your spirits up! :)

    ReplyDelete