Today was a pretty busy day. I started out being there with Annie's OT, Angela, for her 11 am bottlefeeding. They tried her on a new regular nipple instead of the special Haberman bottle that she has been using. She has a really tough time at the 11 am feeding. She is always very sleepy and took a long time to finish. Angela didn't feel comfortable with switching her to the other nipple, but said that I could come back at 5 pm and try the yellow nipple again (otherwise we would try tomorrow). So, of course I went home and ran some more Annie related errands...and decided to come back up at 5 pm.
At 5 p.m., Annie was awake, alert and ready to eat. I put the regular bottle in her mouth and she finished it in 17 minutes! WOW! She was wide awake and even decided to stay awake for a little while to keep me company before zonking out and going back to sleep.
After shift change (at 6:30), I went back in to see Annie at 8:00 to do a non-nutritive breastfeed. She did okay, but after about a third of an ounce, she was too tired and fell asleep.
The doctor ordered to try a nutritive breastfeed in lieu of an additional bottlefeed, so I should be meeting with a lactation consultant tomorrow to try and breastfeed. Hope it goes well.
Also, our nurse Elizabeth gave me the okay to sign up for Infant CPR. For all parents taking home a preemie from the NICU, they are required to be certified in CPR. It is free of charge to the parents of the baby. So I called and scheduled and we are going to be taking it on Thursday. I had just been CPR certified prior to going into the hospital, but since John has to take it, I am going to take it as a refresher course. YAY! One step closer!
Andrea
No comments:
Post a Comment